Monday, July 17, 2006

I’m going BANANAS……

I remember the first day I step foot on the land of the Americas, I heard my favourite song played on the radio. ‘Long December’ by Counting Crows was the song. Have you ever had that feeling where some songs just makes you miss a place, reminds you of how the season smells, etc? I know it’s a sad song but it makes me happy and just wanna fly back to those moments in time.
I want to share another recipe that I often make when I was studying in the States – not that often make but when I did parties and such..it’s called Grilled Bananas with Custard. Well, it’s actually my mums’ recipe.

Ingredients
A) For the bananas
Whole bunch of bananas – ripe
Some castor sugar
Some veggie oil for frying – 2 tblsp maybe – depending on how many bananas yu fry

B) For the Custard:
2 cups of Birds Custard Powder
4-5 cups of water
1 cup of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet you want it to be..;)..)

C) Custard Sauce:
4 Cups of evaporated milk
1 ½ cups of castor sugar
½ tspn vanilla essence
1 ½ tblsp Birds custard powder

Method:
Peel off the banana skin, slice em into half . Fry em on each sides until golden brown. Once all the bananas are on the plate, drizzle em with the castor sugar. Let it cool (sometimes I eat em ward with the custard..)
Mix all the ingredients together in a pot. Stir occasionally until thickens. When it thickens, switch off the stove and put the mixture in dessert cups. Let it cool.
Stir all the ingredients in until the mixture is half thickens.
When the sauce is ready, arrange the sliced bananas in the cups and pour in some of the sauce. Voila! Ready for consumption!..I mean you can eat the dessert. For me, I like if the custard and custard sauce is cool and I eat it with warm/hot bananas. Yummyy! If you’re lazy to make the sauce, try adding vanilla ice cream. I haven’t tried any other fruits yet, but I know that there are creative chefs out there who are willing to explore with other varieties of fruits etc..

Hmmm..now I’m beginning to wonder, what does ‘ A long December’ has got to do with the dessert??.. Well think of it this way, when it’s December – raining (the monsoon here) or snowing, just enjoy the dessert while looking out the window. That’s what I did..ehhe..(You don’t have to wait till December to make this dessert). Btw, my thousand apologies, can’t download the picture coz my scanner is partially damaged (I’ve got Midas touch when it comes to computer stuff..hahaha). Use your imagination…Be wild and creative..hehe

2 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe!!!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

you should try with pineapple - I've had grilled pineapple with vanilla ice cream and LOVED it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home